Wigs for Kids
Around 1995, the Canadian Cancer Society asked me if there was something that could be done with the hair donations that they were receiving. An organization called “Locks of Love” was making wigs for children with Alopecia and many Canadians wanted to help Canadian kids.
Locks of Love is a great organization by the way. I know the driving force behind it, Greg Taylor, who I count as a personal friend as well as a mentor. His organization has helped kids all over the United States and does beautiful work.
But the wigs are vacuum caps designed for kids with complete hair loss. They are not practical for kids that have partial hair loss, or temporary hair loss. What “Wigs For Kids” does is take hair donations and use the hair to make wigs and and partials for children with any type of medical hair loss.
The donated hair is sorted and blended and then made into small cap wigs for children under 12. These are made available free of charge to any Canadian child that needs it. Most of the children come to us through referrals from hospitals. We have some wigs that are here but are also able to make special custom orders for children that need it and are able to wait for a couple of months for them to be made.
How to Donate Hair to Help Children with Hair Loss
All donations should be 10 inches (25 cm) or longer, secured in a ponytail at both ends.
We do NOT cut hair here. You can go to any stylist or hairdresser to get your hair cut.
Simply have them follow the guidelines below:
- Hair must be clean and dry and must be in a braid or ponytail before it is cut.
- 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed, layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches
- When donating hair by shaving hair off be sure to divide the sections of hair into braids or pony tails before it is cut off
- We accept hair that has been dyed or colored
- We accept grey hair, 10 inches and longer and even hair that had been cut years ago and stored in either a braid or ponytail
- Hair swept off the floor is not usable
- We cannot accept hair that had a perm, been bleached or dreadlocks
- Place hair in a clear plastic bag, and then place in an envelope for mailing
Donations can be dropped off in person (Tuesday to Friday 10 am to 5pm or Saturdays 9am to 4pm). Please see address and directions below.
Upon dropping off donations we ask that no photos be taken in our salon to protect our clients privacy.
We do not provide thank you letters on the spot nor do we have an official thank you ceremony upon dropping off hair. Thank you for understanding this and for your donation.
Hair can be mailed to us directly at:
WIGS FOR KIDS
c/o Continental Hair
92 ½ Avenue Road
We are three blocks north of Bloor on the west side of Avenue Road.